Remember the school days? Girls in uniform in their high school classes, all baffled, floating around sewing machines and tiny kitchen setups, learning small tricks of household activities? That’s when we made our footsteps in the field of ‘home economic’. It is very essential to understand that the structural foundation of a society lies upon a family. Hence, importance must be given to the well-being of a family. Home economic simply does that. However, it may vary with the socio-economic ups and downs. This article will bring forth the schemes of having a sustainable and healthy family life.
Looking For A Vivid Idea?
Home economic involves the basic knowledge of homemaking and therefore contributing to the greater aspects i.e. a healthy community and a healthy society. It is scientific. As well as it is an artistic approach to the Issues relating to food preparation and their nutritive values, food preservation, consumer-related problems, well-taught parenting, proper upbringing of newborns, household equipment, cleanliness, textile, interior design, and family economy. This again deals with the proper management of time, energy, money, and other resources.
In short, home economic defines the collective efforts of scientific and mathematical calculations with a massive sense of aesthetics and management skills to build a successful family. Thus a progressive nation forms.
From The Pages Of History
It is said that the institutional studies on home economic had pioneered in 1862 with the Morrill Land-Grant Acts (also considered as the Morrill Act of 1862). In the year 1823, Catherine Esther Beecher, a well-known American academician, went on to establish one of the very first educational institutions for women, the Hartford Female Seminary. In this institution, she incorporated studies of physical education for women. It also had domestic management, housing training, and home economics.
So in 19th-century studies on home economics had already become an integral part of the academic curriculum. In 1908 a proper authoritative instruction was taken on by the then established American Home Economics Association, formed by Ellen H. Richards and the organization focused on the vocational training on home economics or domestic economics. In the year 1994, the institution changed its name to the American Association of Family and Consumer Sciences (AAFCS). It continues to conduct several professional courses on home economics.
Areas That Home Economic Involves
Forging out in the early nineteenth century, home economic studies had shaped in very many ways with passing years. It eventually turned out as a dominant career avenue thus setting out a number of prominent areas to put our focus on.
- Food preparation involves cooking a well-balanced meal for the entire family, putting an ample amount of essential elements in food which helps in physical and physiological growth.
- Proper knowledge of child upbringing, i.e. knowing and learning the growth and developmental phases of a newborn.
- A piece of proper knowledge of public interaction and knowing the society and the surrounding.
- Keeping the interior clean and aesthetically sound therefore creating a healthy interior environment.
- Skills on sewing and clothing, to be able to choose the right type of fabric for different skin types of family members, especially for children.
- Learning the proper time management skills and calculating the household budget on a daily and monthly basis
- Skills on taking proper care of the ailing ones in the family, hands-on training on home remedies of common diseases. It emphasizes the health and hygiene of a family.
- Skills on economic behavior that helps to lead a sustainable life.
To summarize the entire discussion, we can say it is immensely necessary to guide the present and future generations. In conclusion, we must quote Ralph Waldo Emerson, “The ornament of a house is the friends who frequent it”. Let us build a friend-friendly home indeed.